Paleolithic lifestyle and eating is now recognized as one of the best ways to healthy living. Proponents of Paleo living state that the following these lifestyle guidelines and dietary patterns will certainly lead to quality living, healthy aging and longevity. The two principle factors for a perfect way to start a Paleo day are early rising and breakfast.
The early morning hours are the best part of the day. They are quiet, peaceful and refreshing to the mind. This was the way our paleolithic ancestors began their day in order to begin hunting and gathering food for the rest of the day. Although, modern lifestyle does not require us to hunt and gather for food, considering the idea of rising early is beneficial in so many ways. Studies reveal that early risers are more successful in completing the day’s tasks than late risers.
- Exercise: The recommendation for physical activity is at least 30 minutes of simple exercises such as brisk walking, jogging or running. This not only boosts the body’s immune system, it is also found to protect us from many diseases. The distinct difference between our paleolithic ancestors and us is that exercise was in-built in their living and their lifestyle demanded heavy manual labor unlike our sedentary living style. This accounts for their disease-free life.
- Embrace the early morning sun: Research reveals that exposure to early morning sun rays has many health benefits to its credit. Researchers believe that sun’s rays in the dawn have many therapeutic properties such as antimicrobial and antibacterial effect on the skin. It is also the best time to get the body’s daily dose of vitamin D. Studies also confirm that exposure to sun’s rays and experiencing the gradual sun rise helps to wake up the system and maintains the body’s circadian rhythm. Natural sunlight helps to reduce the production of melatonin, the sleep inducing hormone and alleviates drowsiness. It is also found to increase the secretion of the hormone serotonin that is responsible for happiness.
Breakfast is ideally the best nourishment one can provide the body after 6-8 hours of fasting. It is been proved that breakfast is instrumental for healthy body weight and for feeling full of energy throughout the day. Breakfast is the important factor that determines the choice of food in later part of the days. A healthy breakfast certainly leads to healthier food choices and there is no better way than adopting a Paleo style breakfast to begin the perfect day.
Another easy way to get your breakfast done in a snap is to plan it a day ahead which makes it easier for the next day. For those, who are not great planners, stocking the kitchen with a variety of fruits will come in handy to quickly fix a nutritious breakfast in no time. Some common fruits that are allowed in Paleo are apple, apricot, avocado, banana, all berries, guava, cantaloupe, lychee, papaya, watermelon, peaches, pears, plums, pineapple, nectarine, oranges, pomegranate, rhubarb, grapes, figs, grapefruit.
Simple breakfast: Poached egg with assorted fruits
A bowl of diced apple, shredded carrots, diced peaches and handful of nut toppings, served with poached eggs.
Serve along with decaffeinated coffee / herbal tea
Breakfast on the go: Fruits smoothies
- Banana 1
- Pear 1 (cored and peeled)
- Avocado 1
- Lemon juice 1 teaspoon
- Dates 2 (dried)
- Cinnamon ½ teaspoon
- Vanilla extract ½ teaspoon (natural)
- Strawberries 2 (for garnish) optional
Combine all the ingredients and by using a blender, blend them until smooth consistency. Top it with strawberries. This simple breakfast is perfect and filling for those in a rush.
* * *
The dietary principles of Paleolithic living yields only 50% of the Paleo benefits, in order to enjoy the complete health benefits of Paleo, one needs to modify his lifestyle to a healthier one. This means adopting an active lifestyle, refraining from acquired habits such as smoking, alcohol etc.
Paleo experts reinstate that a holistic approach to the paleolithic way of living is the key to success. To sum it all up, early rising, physical activity and a healthy breakfast are the three main ingredients in the recipe to start a perfect Paleo day.