Breakfast is the first meal and also the most important meal of the day. Studies confirm that individuals who consume breakfast maintain a healthy waistline and stay energetic for a longer duration than those who miss breakfast.
“Breakfast” typically means to end the “fast” of the night time where one’s body goes into a period of no food or fuel for continuous hours. A simple breakfast kick starts the cells in the body and hence is a crucial part of the body’s metabolic process.
Top 5 reasons why you should not skip a paleo breakfast
It is so easy to skip breakfast, assuming that it may be a huge task during the busy morning hours. But preparing breakfast can be a surprisingly pleasant experience on a paleo diet plan. Here are the top five reasons why you should never skip a paleo breakfast.
Paleo breakfast is nutrient dense, it literally packs 50-60 % of the daily nutrient needs of a person. Paleo breakfast is super rich in vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, amino acids and omega- 3 fats. Breakfast acts as the master switch for the brain, because brain cells require glucose for optimal function and the cell membrane of the brain is primarily made up of omega-3 fats. Paleo breakfast nourishes the brain with a steady stream of glucose and they are omega- 3 rich. Hence, skipping a nutritious breakfast may affect cognitive performance and reduce the work output.
Paleo breakfast combines fresh fruits, vegetables along with proteins and fats, which ensures to maintain the energy levels in the body. Complex carbohydrates are predominant in paleo diet, which stabilizes the blood glucose levels.
Paleo diet provides both soluble and insoluble fiber which aids in healthy bowel movements. It aids in maintaining gastro-intestinal health and reduces the symptoms of acidity, bloated feeling etc. Researchers have confirmed the gut-brain connection and have concluded that a healthy gut positively influences the brain in the process of decision making and thoughts.
Paleo breakfast is a simple assembly of nutrient rich fruits and vegetables, which can be consumed as a smoothie, or as an omega-3 rich omelet loaded with vegetables or as a scrambled egg with vegetables can be made in minutes.
Paleo breakfast strictly excludes processed foods, sugary foods, trans fat loaded cooking methods and replaces them with ample fresh foods and judicious inclusion of leafy vegetables, nuts, organic meat etc. This promotes long term health and sustained energy levels.
Paleo breakfast ideas
- Fruit Smoothies – Combine fruits of choice in blender
- Mixed vegetables on omelet – Whisk an egg, to make an omelet loaded with vegetables of choice.
- Salmon with scrambled eggs – Combine sliced smoked salmon pieces and add on to egg and scramble them . Season with pepper and chives.
- Fruit salad – Toss together fruits of choice and berries
- Veggie delight on egg scramble – Combine spinach, zucchini, tomato, along with bacon strips and scramble with egg, season with pepper.
- Shrimp and egg – Toss tomatoes, cilantro, avocado with sea salt , pepper. Make an omelet and top it with chopped cooked shrimp and the vegetable mix.
Tips on paleo breakfast
- Care should be taken to choose meats from grass-fed animals.
- Consider organic fresh fruits such as peaches, apples, grapes etc adds as the perfect complement to the protein-rich breakfast.
- Paleo breakfast is devoid of dairy products, processed foods, sweetened drinks, and grains of all types.
Paleo based breakfast is indeed the best way to start the morning as it keeps you fueled and geared for the rest of the day. Research reveals that foods consumed for breakfast largely determine the choice of foods for lunch and dinner. So poor choice of breakfast is equivalent to poor food choices for the rest of the day.
Breakfast is crucial part of the day’s diet and everyday there is an emerging evidence on its health importance, by consuming breakfast one nourishes the body with vital nutrients and stay super charged for the rest of the day.